Thinking of Adopting a Siberian Husky?
This page has been prepared to help you think through your impending decision from an INTELLECTUAL point of view. It is intended as an aid for your interview. Many of the points listed here, as well as many details, will be discussed at that time. The volunteer will be glad to answer all of your questions.
- Why do you want a Siberian Husky?
- What are the schedules of the family members?
- Why do you want a dog? What role will it fill in your household?
- What size dog do you prefer? Siberians can range from 35 - 60 pounds.
- Do you mind grooming? Although Siberians are not long coated, they do have a heavy undercoat that is usually shed in the spring/summer. Weekly brushing will help keep the shedding in check.
- Do you prefer a male or female? The biggest difference is size; females are generally smaller.
- Do you have a fenced yard? If not, how do you plan on keeping the dog on your property?
- Have you owned dogs before? Did you train them or did someone else?
- If you have other pets, how do they get along with dogs?
- Do you have children? Children should never have total responsibility for the dog. Young children and pups are often a disaster.
- Are you willing to go to obedience classes to train the dog yourself?
- Are you familiar with crates used in housebreaking and training?
- Have you investigated the costs of owning a dog? These would include food, annual vaccinations, annual heartworm check and preventative, collars, leashes, dishes, annual licensing, sickness, boarding when you are away, training classes, etc.
- Do you travel much and have you considered what arrangement you must make when you travel?
- How will the dog be exercised and by whom?
- Have you had a discussion with everyone involved about getting a dog and just what WILL and WILL NOT be allowed or done with the new family member? Who will be directly responsible for the dogs care?
- Have you given serious thought to the fact that the average lifespan for a Siberian is 12+ years and this means a LONG TERM commitment to this animal? Pets are NOT disposable!!
If you still feel that a Siberian is the right dog for you, complete an adoption application and we will contact you as soon as we have received it. If you have decided that this is not the breed for you, we would be happy to put you in touch with other purebred rescue services. Getting a new dog is EXCITING and filled with many great expectations....
Lets see if we can help you make them come true!